Late in 2011 Cove Sailing Club was granted full planning permission for a 74 berth marina (including visitor berths) at Whitepoint, Cobh. The proposal being developed is that Cove Sailing Club shall develop and manage the marina in order to provide facilities for use by club members and visitors to Cobh. Phase 1 commencing April 2015 will consist of the access ramp, breakwater and 30 berths.
Location of the proposed Cove SC marina
Why Cove SC proposes to develop a marina…
- Enable Cove SC to locate and manage all facilities and activities from one central location.
- Help attract new members and make marine leisure activities more accessible to adults, juniors and visitors to Cobh.
- Provide better facilities and enhance range of courses on offer to cater for a wider range of participants, for example: young/old/physically impaired, schools and other groups through easier and quicker access to the water.
- Enable Cove SC and Cobh attract bigger, higher calibre marine leisure related events more frequently and to host competitors locally.
- Cobh and Cove SC are already associated with major maritime leisure activities – Cruise liners, Cork Week, Cobh Peoples Regatta, Cobh/Blackrock race, Cork Harbour Open Day, are all well known but also potential to attract further events eg. Traditional sail weekend, SCORA Championships, class association racing, rowing, sea angling events etc. which could all attract new members to Cove SC and visitors to the marina, Cobh. and beyond.
- Cobh represents the optimum location for a marina in Cork Harbour – rail link to Cork, restaurants, bars, hotels, shops, parking all available very close by compared to other existing or planned marina locations.
- There is a shortfall in the number of berths available in Cork Harbour generally.
- Titanic and Lusitania commemorations upcoming which will focus International attention on Cobh’s and Cork Harbour’s maritime history and marine leisure potential.
- Marine leisure identified by Cork County Council and other bodies as a potential growth market and the lack of local marina facilities is a fundamental shortcoming in Cobh’s current tourism/leisure offering.
Plan of Cove SC’s proposed marina
If you are interested in a berth and want to know more?
We still have a few berths remaining on our first phase (30 berths only). The cost of a berth will be 65 euro per foot per annum. A minimum fee equal to a 23’ boat will apply for a berth even if a boat is smaller. We will expect payment in advance.
Berth holders will have to be members of Cove Sailing Club (membership is very reasonable and new members are always welcome – full details available here).
If you are interested in a marina berth, you must first submit a completed application form to email@example.com. You can also choose to post the application to us at our registered office address. We will collate all applications and provisionally allocate space on the marina.
At the moment we are concentrating on annual berths. If you are looking for a space for a few weeks/months over the summer, we will not be in a position to decide on this type of allocation until we have provided all our annual berth holders with a space.