For the 2021 season we are planning to build an Optimist fleet in Cove Sailing Club . Over the last few months there have been several boats arriving in the club and there are now 6 boats with further interest sure to result in a few more boats before the start of the season.
There are many reasons why the optimist is such a popular boat internationally and why the boat is adopted in the majority of Irish sailing clubs for young sailors.
Below are some of the key benefits:
- ? Kids can handle them without danger, fear or back-strain.
- ? Single-handed is best and kids learn a lot more when sailing single handed.
- ? Over 250,000 kids in more than 120 countries cannot be wrong.
- ? The only junior class in Ireland offering international competition and travel.
- ? The Optimist is not only the biggestdinghy class in the world, but also thefastest growing.
- ? 85% of Olympic medallists at the lastOlympics were Optimist sailors.
- ? Builders on five continents, promotingcompetition and cost savings.
- ? Provides all kids with the vital sailingbasics that will allow them to move onto double handed boats or stay sailing single handed boats in the future.
- ? There is an active fleet in Cork harbour with existing fleets in MBSC and RCYCAt what age should I start sailing an Optimist?Kids should start sailing as soon as they are confident near water, usually it’s around 8 or 9 but can be younger.
- ? Sailing is fun: a great social life, now and for the rest of your days.
- ? Sailing builds self-reliance, physical strength, quick thinking, and a love of the environment
Benefits of buying an Optimist for 2021
Boat ownership has many benefits and will allow the young sailors to progress more quickly, allowing more time on the water with dedicated optimist coaching that will be provided by experienced club members and parents along with dedicated Optimist sailing coaches.
A good starter Optimist can be found for less than €1000 and the boats if well looked after will not drop in value over the time that you keep the boat. Sailing and tuition for the boat owners will cost less with only a nominal fee to cover any external coaches.
If you are interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Kieran Dorgan on 087 9582657